Sometimes, mid-conversation, I remark, “I’m an engineer, not a salesman.” The typical response: “Um…DUH…thanks Mr. Obvious.” A question that
should be asked is, “Why on earth would you bother to point out a fact that is more ridiculously overt than your disdain for Denise Richards movies?”
The truth is I’m nerd to the core. It’s not just what I do, it’s what I am. And consequently, it explains my actions more consicely than anything else.
I think salesmen focus on best-utilizing what’s already there while engineers focus on improving the evident weaknesses. For example, technically-speaking, I am overweight and a bad dresser. A salesman says, “Ok, if you’re chubby and have crappy clothes, focus on your sense of humor or your ability to make people look at things that don’t involve you. You’ll certainly have better luck when focusing on your strengths.” An engineer says, “If you dress poorly, buy some new clothes and solicit the opinion of someone who doesn't beleive Wal-mart is the fashion center of the world. Got a double chin? Exercise more and stop eating a pound of hamburger everytime you go out to eat. Never “accept” things that can be improved.”
In the dating world, the salesman declares, “You have a promising career, a relatively uneventful past, and a debt-free bank account. That should count for something (a very boring date if you want my opinon). Start with her…” The engineer says, “Your sense of humor needs work as do most things about you. That’s okay because you’ve got time. If people are going to like you, it will be because what you are speaks for itself. Her? If you’re the right kind of person, she’ll notice on her own. Otherwise, who needs ’er…”
As you might guess, women like salesmen* a lot more than engineers. I must confess, it's only fair. Salemen focus on the customer. Engineers focus on the product.
Now I have to ask myself, “What is it you really expect women to do?” And more importantly, “What is reasonable to expect once you’ve asked a girl out?”
The former is easy to answer. “Swoon at my every gesture and flock to my greatness sans cesse.” The latter? The more experience I gain, the more clueless I become.
*Note I’m speaking in the personality-sense of these words.
Labels: dating, Nerdular Nerdance
5 Comments:
Eh. The sales mentality is bad for marriage.
here is a little known fact: girls who don't suck would take an engineer over a salesman any day. who wants to be with someone who will just tell you what you want to hear? when i ask, do these jeans make my butt look huge, i want a resounding "yes!" i must admit that dating someone with a salespitch is less than desireable. but then again, i'm obviously not a normal girl if i appreciate honesty at the expense of my ghetto booty.
As usual, I am speaking in terms of the ideal. Not all salesmen are slimy just like not all engineers are intelligent.
Ditto: Any girl worth a grain of salt will take the engineer ANY DAY over the salesman. That's a no-brainer.
You can't say you dislike Denise Richards movies until you watch Drop Dead Gorgeous.
On second thought, you ARE straight.. well, I still say you should watch it.
Post a Comment
<< Home