10/24/2008

Because moving is more than physical reality

Logan, Utah.
Hey we're taking your sister to see your nephew on Halloween. There isn't much time, so we'll just be there for the weekend.
Hey! I can come too. I can easily miss class on Monday.
...Well... you live in Atlanta now...
Guh?... I completely forgot... man, that sucks...
I'm sorry, honey. I wish we could bring you along.
BURGLE FLICKLE

In my return home to GA, I'd just arrived at the Chicago airport from SLC:
Shoot. I'm late. I'm going to miss my flight home.
I found the TV's with all the flight information.
Let's see. SLC? SLC? SLC? There it is! OH NO! The flight is on its "final boarding" phase.
I ran to the gate and breathlessly handed the attendant my ticket.
Sorry I'm late. Can I still board?
Um, sir? This ticket is to Atlanta.
Oh hell, not again.
Oh...sorry...my mistake. Thank you.

I thought I'd accepted Atlanta as my new home. Perhaps part of me has yet to let go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mindy said...

Oh wow. That story just made my day. And I've been in California for two and a half years, and I still have moments like that.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

It makes me strangely happy to know that Utah has had some hold on you. :)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

annie: Such was never my intention. I promise. No matter what, I suppose I will always be, at least to a small extent, a product of my environments.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I suppose that's not a bad thing. ;)

11:44 PM  
Blogger lindsey said...

The obvious solution to this problem is to move back to SLC pronto!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home