1/11/2009

Ah, this is interesting! Are there chickens?

In Good Will Hunting, Robin William's character talks about his wife on several occasions. He begins by explaining to a disturbingly young Matt Damon that love cannot be condensed into a sonnet or play. It is understood through experience, not record. He touches on the theme of "little things" and how they are what make a person memorable. They are the things he missed the most after his wife was died.

St. Exupery explains a similar concept in The Little Prince. Upon their first encounter, the Fox tells the Prince, "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame* me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world ."

Some would call both accounts examples of love, which isn't necessarily romantic. (I apologize for using the St. Exupery example a second time.)

Perhaps that's exactly love is confusing to so many people. "It's supposed to feel like...," I've heard a dozen people say, and each person had something different in mind. Deep and vague don't really go well together. On the bright side, we don't need to haveĀ definitionsĀ and lines drawn around all our emotions. A feeling is what it is regardless of what name we give it. The important part is how we deal with it.

Originally, I was going to list some of my own "little things," but I decided that discovering those aspects of a person is in part how how he or she becomes special. How could I rob my four readers of such experiences?

Actually, I don't think it matters what I say. What makes us unique to each other is not so much how we define ourselves, but how our quasi-subconscious nuances define us and which among them people notice.

That said, I will reward you, my devoted reader, a hint of personal detail for having read this far: it involves sandwiches.
*"Tame" is not the best translation. I much prefer the fox's own definition, "To create bonds."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

That is so nicely put.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

I love me some sandwiches. Not in a vague or deep way. I just simply love them.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Mike. Everything about this post is perfect. I loved it.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home