The past is all we know, the memories are clear.
Right now, I'm sitting in my house contemplating the coming month. Despite the long road that always appears at the begining of a new semester and despite the emotional stress that comes with entering a new environment, a stranger to all, I'm excited to meet the challenge head on. My first day in this new home has been a good one. I've already begun to make what seem like real friendships. A precious person from the old days came by to see me before she left to Idaho to visit another friend. It's so nice to have people in your life that can disappear for years, reappear, and be as significant as they ever were.
My conviction that I must meet new people continues to strengthen. Old friends are great. You keep them with you as you age; you rejoice in their successes. Yet old friends are just that, "old." Old things wear out. They lose some of their utility, some of their importance. You can continue to keep them around, but really, if you never get new stuff, entropy will consume you.
Entropy is the unrecoverable energy resulting from a transfer. An engine, no matter how efficiently run, will die when it runs out of fresh fuel.
EDIT: I should point out that I'm talking about "old" in the "lives too far away to see very often " sense of the word. I don't mean to say you can't sustain yourself on old friends either. All real friends become old after some time. HOWEVER, those old friends must continue to bring renewed fullfillment if one is to lose his need for new blood. Personally, my friends are superb. I could not ask for anything better, but I must aknowledge the fact that they don't live here in SLC and many are now married and consequently less accessible.
Wish You Were Here - The Get Up Kids
My conviction that I must meet new people continues to strengthen. Old friends are great. You keep them with you as you age; you rejoice in their successes. Yet old friends are just that, "old." Old things wear out. They lose some of their utility, some of their importance. You can continue to keep them around, but really, if you never get new stuff, entropy will consume you.
Entropy is the unrecoverable energy resulting from a transfer. An engine, no matter how efficiently run, will die when it runs out of fresh fuel.
EDIT: I should point out that I'm talking about "old" in the "lives too far away to see very often " sense of the word. I don't mean to say you can't sustain yourself on old friends either. All real friends become old after some time. HOWEVER, those old friends must continue to bring renewed fullfillment if one is to lose his need for new blood. Personally, my friends are superb. I could not ask for anything better, but I must aknowledge the fact that they don't live here in SLC and many are now married and consequently less accessible.
Wish You Were Here - The Get Up Kids

1 Comments:
I am glad I found your new blog. I think this one of the more powerful posts. It feels pessimistic, but it is still real.
I don't whether it is the fact the old friends are unable to sustain you, or the fact as one gets older, they coil up. I think for me, moving on in life or just growing up adds a different definition to "old friends".
Post a Comment
<< Home