3/16/2007

We pass it off but it's all on us. Only common conversation, it took everything I got. And I like it the farther I get out.

Now that it’s the middle of March, I can finally talk about New Year’s resolutions. Recently, several friends made comments to the effect of, “I was going to go do something something something, but I wimped out/became apathetic.” The gym population has once again become sparse; apparantly, many have returned to their old lifestyles.

Sometimes I wonder why people give up (at least partially) on goals they set with such vigor only months before. Aren't those goals still important? What is the difference between those that give up and those that keep going? I have an answer, and man is it profound…People who stick with their goals have strong…resolve.

Ahhhh, so maybe that’s why they call it a “resolution.” Where does resolve come from then, and why does it fade? I don’t have a good answer to that one, not yet anyway. However, it does remind me of a comment Organic Chemist Sister made to me a few days ago.

“I’m always surprised at how empirical the science really is. You have all kinds of ideas and theories on why they should work, but you never know anything until you try them. Most of the time they don’t work even though they should.” You have to know what it is you're looking at before you can really understand why/how it functions. For example:

Thursdays are once again the best day of the week for me. We started Ultimate Frisbeeing in honor of the warm weather. An hour into yesterday’s game, I was running full blast through the center of the field, chasing a pass. I jumped up and grabbed the Frisbee and stopped two feet in front of one of the defenders, her eyes huge and utterly terrified. Later, I was again chasing down a pass. As I blazed past one of the guys on the opposing team, I heard him say as he ceased his pursuit, “I’m not getting hurt...” (Implying charlie-horse inducing collision was imminent.) Driving home, my roommate commented, “In the beginning, when I started guarding you, and you went into all those switchbacks, it didn't take long to decide it wasn’t worth it.” And that’s the way it works in the world of Ultimate. For every player, there comes a point, when they always say, “It’s just not worth it.” At 5’8” 160lbs, my body hardly screams, “BEHOLD!! the pinnacle of physical prowess.” So maybe it's my resolve that allows me to succeed against taller, more skilled players. That or really pointy elbows and jagged knees.

And I guess the real world isn’t much different. People with strong resolve often beat their competitors because, well, they just want it more. Now my biggest problem is that I lack the resolve to eat and drink enough water. Maybe my lunch just needs to run faster.
Brand New - Good To Know That If I Ever Need Attention All I Have To Do Is Die

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger yaj000 said...

You were being guarded by a "girl"!!:)
Your resolve should be to gentle with them!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

Of course not. Notice my choice of article.

8:57 AM  
Blogger ambrosia ananas said...

If the goals actually mattered to them, people wouldn't wait for New Year's to start.

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home