Prepare your rotten fruit.
I'm not interested in Iron Man 2 anymore. At best I'm mildly curious about it. I haven't seen it, but allow me to summarize what will happen.Yay!! Tony Stark is a tool, but he's likable!!
Oh no!! Bad guys are out to get him!!
Dude! SJH is soo hot!
Hooray! Stark has a Super Secret Special Attack that wins the day!
Awwww. He's still a jerk. How cute.
The end.
It's true that people don't usually go to movies to have their horizons expanded or even to use their minds at all, and yes, the Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer factor does have some cinematic merit (albeit small as far as I am concerned). However, today I am bored with such things.*
As I've stated many many times, I find I typically appreciate challenge, creativity, and/or unpredictability more than success, consistency, and safety. In movies this character flaw translates to being prone to spend money on crappy but unique movies over good but predictable movies.
I dare anyone to watch the trailer of Daybreakers and accurately predict how it ends. On the otherhand, Hurt Locker is easy.
Arrrg, Iraq is TOUGH...but people are REAL...I want to help, but things are COMPLICATED. Drama drama drama. Everyone goes home but not without a price!
That said, I saw both movies - Daybreakers in the theater, Hurt Locker on a plane. Somewhat expectedly, I walked out of Daybreakers feeling a rental or matinee would have been more appropriate. Hurt Locker was definitely a "better" movie.
Supporting example: I'm a terrible bowler. I think I bowl an average of once every two year, but recently, I've bowled more frequently, but I haven't gotten any better. Reason: I still try to properly curve the ball. Now, I CAN curve a ten pound ball reasonably well, but what I can't do is keep it out of the gutter more than 70% of the time. The end result is a small number of X's and a lot of blanks on my score card. If I would bowl straight like most people, I'm sure I would be able to get better scores than 85 on a regular basis by now.
What can I say? Anyone can spend their hard earned money on only good media or focus their physical efforts on techniques that might actually win the game. It takes a real man to act as he desires, unfiltered by rational argument. I am clearly that guy.

2 Comments:
Um, was Post Grad in your "unique but crappy" or "don't waste your money or mind" category? For me it was the latter. Personally, I'm excited to see The A-Team. At least when I go to a movie like that, I know what I'm in for - unlike Clash of the Titans, which was just awful. Truly awful. And I like crap movies (case in point, I own the movie, Sahara). Why aren't there moves like The Jerk or Happy Gilmore anymore? I blame big Hollywood studios for telling us what we should like!
The latter. I didn't see PG, but some friends did. It's in a third category - not unique, creative OR "good" in any way whatsoever.
I wanted to have a visual representation of a movie that can lack redeeming qualities on both axes.
Post a Comment
<< Home