5/10/2010

Reinvention is a dish best left for Jennifer Lopez films

As most of you know by now, I have returned to life as a single man. While I'm no longer willing to declare it a good or a bad thing, I will say it's given me some new material to contemplate regarding my own life.

An old girlfriend unwittingly consoled me recently,
...Keep in mind that I don't know the current version of Mike as well as I knew the older version of Mike.

I like this statement because it's a reminder that I am not same as I was four years ago. Few people are. For example, I now have a greater capacity to grow nasty side burns. Four years ago, it took weeks to see them. Now it only takes about 5 days. I have many new views and interests too. It seems silly for me to believe the same thing won't be true in another four years.

Separation tears the present from the status quo, and that's often painful. At the same time, I have to acknowledge the fact that a status quo, while comfortable, is not inherently a good thing. I'm not saying it's bad either. For now I'm just saying that embracing change doesn't have to be a booby prize for one of life's failures. I can be a needed opportunity to become better, happier.

Of course, subtle change may be less cathartic than elaborate desserts, trashy movies, or new toys, but one doesn't have to be better than the other. As a single guy, I can do whatever I want. I think I'll enjoy both.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cristina said...

Thank Heaven for the ability to change.

2:30 PM  
Blogger brozy said...

For now I'm just saying that embracing change doesn't have to be a booby prize for one of life's failures.

I like that. A lot. I've done a lot of ridiculously stupid things, but when I tried to think of how I could've not done them, I realized I wouldn't be current me without them. And I like who and where I am. Change and failure != bad things. And failure teaches me an awful lot about myself.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home