5/29/2007

And if I can't find my way back to me, let the sun fall down over me.

A while back, LauLau commented that the first thing she noticed about me was, “pale, pale legs.” I wasn’t insulted, except for maybe the fact that she hadn’t seen my legs until our third or forth encounter. It’s always good to know I leave such a strong impression on people.

Whatever the case, I’m faced with the typical summer dilemma – how do I deal with the strong possibility that I might go outdoors and take my shirt off at least once between now and September. Farmer tan excepting, I’m afraid the rest of me is as white my poor, sheltered legs.In summers past, I’ve attempted quick resolution of this issue by simply going shirtless for half a day. The results are never anything short of a bright red shade of disaster. In ‘05, all I had to show for my efforts was a cranberry-colored, moon-shaped burn offset by a white hand print on my lower back where I’d wiped sunscreen off my hand after applying it to only my shoulders. Sadly, the picture didn’t survive, but here's a different one:

This year, I’ve vowed I won't repeat the mistakes of the past 23 summers. My old weightlifting buddy suggests tanning beds. Though I’m fairly secure in my sexual identity, I’m afraid that spending money to go tanning is still past my limits. Luckily, I have another card to play – as a scientist, I have a lot of reading to do, and as a free-range grad-student, I can read wherever I like.

Naturally, I’ve decided to spend my mornings outside with the sun. Honestly, I don’t expect my plan to work as I often have poor follow-through. Consequently, my pasty, white torso has never had more than a crimson hue of pain. Still, I need to be optimistic. I just don’t know how the neighbors will feel about having an albino sunning himself in the adjacent back yard.
Fuel - Sunburn

5 Comments:

Blogger joN. said...

i would probably pay up to 75 bucks to see the white stripes. i know it's completely off topic, but i have no idea if you're going to go back to my blog to read what i responded to your comment (which is actually completely different than what i just wrote here).

hey, when do you think not actually having a tan will be really cool? it's probably healthier so i'm betting that phase will be just around the corner.

4:03 PM  
Blogger SRA said...

Fantastic. Pasty whiteness rules.

~~

3:15 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

joN: Let us all hope you are right. I just finished my second exposure; it's not pretty.

From what I know, being tanless IS healthier assuming you never go outside. Otherwise, some kind of base layer is supposed to protect you from further damage.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Laulau said...

I think the first thing I thought of you was you seemed very philosophical (or maybe it was just our conversations). I always think of you as a sort of Clint Eastwood. I am ashamed to admit that it probably was the 4th time I saw you that we went boating, but in my defense your legs really do lack a tan!

3:23 PM  
Blogger SkinWench said...

White, Pastey Chick here.

I'm sure you have a gorgeous golden tan by now..or are at least some shade of pink..considering that it's the latter half of July, but I just had to pipe in and say please, please do not go to the tanning beds. Doing this just once can increase your chances of skin cancer by up to 35%. I think the Casper the ghost look is so much more attractive than cancer. (In Turkey, they call pale, white folks like us "white cheese"..like their feta cheese. LOL!)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home