2007
I'm finally getting around to seeing last year's movies. Thus far my rankings for the movies of consequence are:Second Tier: Rescue Dawn, The Bourne Ultimatum, Hairspray - All worth the price of admission, but each film presented little that was out of the ordinary.
5. Lars and the Real Life Girl - Horribly awkward and simultaneously hilarious. Definitely a black sheep of a movie, but that's probably why I liked it so much.
4. Once - I loved the music. The plot was a bit unmotivated, but that's okay. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is.
3. 3:10 to Yuma - All a man has is the respect of the people who matter. Without it, he has nothing and is nothing. I like that idea.

2. Sweeney Todd - It's Tim Burton at his best. The music is surprisingly good, and the costumes are amazing. The throat slicing didn't give me the jibbles as I feared. I do wish the movie had included the epilogue, but admittedly, it would have ruined the mood. I think that's why Burton left it out.
1. No Country for Old Men - Just amazing. A virtually perfect movie. No excess, unimportant scenes. Perfectly believable characters. Terrifying antagonist. Humor. And one sad but very true theme. As Travers put it - part of this country is "no place for anyone, never mind old men."
I still have Atonement, Juno, and There Will Be Blood to see. Anyone want to come with me? Seeing as I'm just sitting around waiting for snooty academic committees to vote on my worth, I need some some distraction.

3 Comments:
I totally would if I were there! Atonement and Juno are two of my three favourite movies of last year.
And I'm glad you saw Lars and the Real Girl. Totally quirky and weird--have you *tried* explaining its premise to anyone?!--but I liked it.
I also really enjoyed Lars and the Real Girl. (and Atonement & Juno). However, I'm morally opposed to your praise of the violent movies. Sinner.
I completely agree. I went to see No Country… for the second time this weekend and it's just brilliant. Coen's can do no wrong (albeit Ladykillers was getting pretty close).
My next flick is "There Will Be Blood". I'm dying to see it. I'm a big Paul Thomas Anderson fan.
Post a Comment
<< Home