9/29/2006

I find your speech motivating, watching life pass you by on the screen. Just flicker and fading with a plot like you wouldn't believe.

Public transport is great. You can do all sorts of stuff whilst in transit - talk to strangers, ponder the fate of the universe, listen to the guys in front of you talk about punk rock and skin heads, study homework solutions, stare at people and quickly look away every time they return your glance, read Geoffrey Chaucer, the list is endless.

Lately, I’ve done lots of reading thanks to TRAX. Today, I finished The Catcher in the Rye and discovered conclusively that I have a problem.

I finished Slaughterhouse 5 last week and shared my feelings about it with Editorgirl.

“I don’t quite get why the book is so reputable….”
“Did you read it alone?”
“Yeah…”
“I’m sorry.”
“*Confused look* um…how else was I supposed to read it?”

I guess I understand what she meant. In high school English classes, we always discussed our reading material. It was fun, and I’m certain that those discussions helped me glean more from the books we read. Sometimes we talked about stupid things, sometimes funny things, sometimes deep things; each day was a little different. I don't know that I would have ever decided books other than the "Choose Your Own Adventure" types were worth my time had my English teachers been less excited about literature.

Whatever the case, as long as I keep getting free transport, I’ll keep reading the books on my list (probably remaining oblivious to the cooler elements). So if you happen to live within 20 miles of SLC, think Salinger or Vonnegut or whoever bring any kind of dynamic to the table, and are a modestly hot girl between the ages of 12 and 200, we should get together. Sewiously.

(If you’re a guy…well, you should come play Ultimate Frisbee with us on Thursdays instead. Me being a raging homophobe, it’s probably better that way. Come to think of it, if you’re a girl you should come too, we welcomes all peoples.)

Worse for the Wear - The New Amsterdams.

10 Comments:

Blogger N.F. said...

A). I LOVE Choose Your Own Adventure Books. I had a zillion of them when I was a kid. I'm sure they are someone else's treasure now, as I'm pretty sure I sold them years ago in a garage sale. HOW IN THE WORLD could I have ever parted with them?

2). I LUV the Trax. When I lived in Sandy, I was 1 mile from the station. I only wish CA had the brains to do something like that. My best Trax story was when I was on my way to Temple Square and there was a homeless guy and girl in front of me. (I should qualify that and say boy and girl. They were children. 16 if they were a day). We made eye contact a bit, and then when another young blond surfer type guy got on - they asked to use his cell phone. They were calling some place to find out about a bed. They got one for that night.

3). What about The Cheerleader series? OR, wait. There was another series I had about 100 books of. 2 girls, blonde, hum....what was it called?

2:45 PM  
Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

I was going to post a comment, but then I felt an atmosphere of bigotry, so I decided to clip my nails instead.

2:50 PM  
Blogger editorgirl said...

I'm not sure how I should feel about this post. . . someone please inform me.

10:16 PM  
Blogger JB said...

Today, I finished The Catcher in the Rye and discovered conclusively that I have a problem.

That's how I felt after I read it, too. I feel like I related a little too well with the main character. . .

I love public transit for the same reason(s). Mostly because I got to read lots of Terry Pratchett on my way to work.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

NF: Awesome. 3) No idea. I'm all about books staring a couple of foxy blondes, but I can't say I know anything about that particular series.

TB: You and I are all about irrational bigotry. You know that.

EG: Obviously, you should feel immensely complimented; any publicity from me is good publicity. But now that you’ve been forever-immortalized in my blog, I’m afraid your life can only go down from here. I’m sorry.

jb: I haven't read any Terry Pratchett. Any suggestions on the first of her works to read?

7:39 AM  
Blogger JB said...

{giggle} I like the way I've read Terry Pratchett's works. I started with one series and read most of it, then went through another series. Now, I sort of read the ones I haven't read yet in the order he wrote them.

My suggestions: avoid the first three Discworld books. They're not his best and will give you a bad taste for the series. I think you'd like the guards books. Start with Guards! Guards! I think you might like Good Omens, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman. It's about the apocalypse. I haven't read much of it yet, but what I have read seems pretty cool. Also, it might be worth trying Thud! I liked it, but the main character is a little too orange for some people. Peircian orange, that is.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Choose You Own Adventure books rock, but I wasn't adventurous, so I'd always read ahead to make sure I made the right choice.

8:22 PM  
Blogger yaj000 said...

Are you playing on the Orem City League? Hows the halloween tournament coming up?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

Nah, I just play with some people up in Bountiful. We aren't nearly intense enough to play in a league or color code our teams.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Rachel Helps said...

oh, I just read Slaughter-House 5.

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home