9/27/2006

When the world caves in, wacha gonna do?

I bought yet another toy today. Like all playthings, I didn't need it.

What can I say? I'm a sucker for ingenuity and novelty. With the release of the second generation iPod nanos, the first generations went down 40+%. Today, I went to the bookstore and bought a 2 Gb 1G nano with the Nike+ kit. Basically, it's a little radio transmitter with a gyrometer that detects acceleration in order to monitor and record your stride. It's quite cool, but I'm finding I have to calibrate it at just the right speed to ensure accuracy.

Now, when I run, I have a distance tracker, a timer, a heart monitor, and a sweet polypropylene shirt for moisture wicking. I got all of these items under massive discounts, but
still, I wonder if I should feel a bit ashamed. (I don't.)

A good pair of shoes is all a runner really needs. Still, as an obsessor of all things performance-driven and quantitative, I'm lucky to at least have waited until I had money to buy such silly contraptions. Heaven help me when I have enough to buy superfluous gadgets at full price.

Blister - Jimmy Eat World

4 Comments:

Blogger yaj000 said...

Inspite of having an income above the national average, I still prefer buying on rei.com (free returns).:)

How is that shoe sensor working out for you? I want one too!

4:26 PM  
Blogger yaj000 said...

You should get some ad money for freely advertizing about Nike.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

The sensor is ok. You have to calibrate it as close to your normal pace as possible. If you run faster than your calibrated pace, it thinks you are going slow. If you run slower, it thinks you are running faster. Running a minute faster than my calibrated pace, it was about 4% off. I'm not sure about running slower. I'm still figuring the thing out.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Cicada said...

Less than two weeks till I go out and buy one again... We'll see if two weeks is enough to make me change my mind. Let me know what you think in about a week.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home