Sometimes... when you hold out for everything, you walk away with nothing.
Anyone know where that one came from? Ally McBeal <- highlight the blank space
IBPG sometimes tells me that I, like all of humanity, have trouble with commitment, and though I disagree, I cannot deny that she knows me better than anyone. Having yet to move into the hiding hole I dug in the back yard, I continue to associate myself with people, places, and objects. My devotion to these disparate elements is ever questionable as I rarely fully align myself with any of them.
IBPG sometimes tells me that I, like all of humanity, have trouble with commitment, and though I disagree, I cannot deny that she knows me better than anyone. Having yet to move into the hiding hole I dug in the back yard, I continue to associate myself with people, places, and objects. My devotion to these disparate elements is ever questionable as I rarely fully align myself with any of them.
After all, Apple computers have bugs, my church has unreconcilable doctrinal and historical contradictions, good friends make mistakes, family members are sometimes crazy, and academic departments let vital details slide through the cracks.
Some call it commitment; I call it loyalty. We're talking about the same thing, so I suppose it doesn't matter what term anyone uses. If my goal is perfection, how can I swear loyalty to computer companies that constantly fail their users, organizations with questionable integrity, or a girlfriends that serve as anything other than an image enhancer?

A person may remind me that I'm not perfect either, and though I will contest their contention, the dilemma remains unchanged. Perfect or flawed, I can only be loyal to perfect entities, otherwise my association with those things will only make me more imperfect.
Or will it?
Perfection is a great goal, but I wonder why it matters so much. Bad software allows me to feel smart when I figure out the things that stump tech support, religious inconsistencies teach the value of free thought, embarrassing girlfriends are a good cure for pretension, and a perfect friend would have no use for me at all.
I've known for a long time that I don't have to be perfect. Perhaps the next step for me is to accept that life's peripherals don't have to be perfect either. Shudder the thought.

3 Comments:
If I were to say I had trouble with commitment, I would be manipulating the truth. It only looks like I have trouble with commitment, but really, the root is that I have trouble with trust; commitment is only a side effect to a deeper distress. Why commit when IT can not be trusted to not leave you in return? IT can't be trusted to commit, because IT will put things ahead of me. I must uncommit first!
I love loyalty and would enjoy it to death, but I suspect that IT will stab me in the back. I want to be a die hard, but I haven't found anything yet to put it all into. Am I hoarding my loyalty? Commitment makes life simple, if only IT could be trusted. Can commitment exist without trust? Should it not? We know that IT will fail at some point, and that I will fail IT (I already do). When do we care enough about IT or I to stick with it anyway? Must we? Eventually, yes.
However, there is a thing about assuming the good in people. Perhaps commitment allows relationships to prevail unchanged (or at all) in the face of inevitable imperfection. Hmm...Good luck with this one.
I've known for a long time that I don't have to be perfect. Perhaps the next step for me is to accept that life's peripherals don't have to be perfect either. Shudder the thought.
Tell me about it. While I've been working on accepting imperfection in myself (not an easy task), accepting anything less than perfection in other people is just unthinkable.
[sigh]
well, who defines perfection? this may seem like a simplistic, supposedly thoughtless reply, but perfection lies in the eye of the beholder. most of our theories are measured against something, and maybe it's time to own and create our own definition of that something instead of letting genetics, culture, perception etc. do it for us. i'm appreciating the power of relativity lately.
Post a Comment
<< Home