I hear you're somewhere in the sand, and how I wish I was an ocean, baby. Maybe then I'd get to see you again.
Go back for a moment the piece of ice. When it’s cold out, it’s a solid. On warm days, it melts into a puddle of water. Put it on the stove, and it’s vapor.But WHY I ask? "Well, the environmental heat makes it melt and then vaporize." Yes, but why does heat make ice melt? "The radiation is absorbed by the atoms of the water molecules making them vibrate faster." Why do vibrations matter? "Faster vibrations increase the kinetic energy of the molecules. Increased kinetic energy results in stronger repulsions and higher escaping potentials which in turn overcome the intermolecular forces that hold the fluid or solid together."
Now the contradiction, "does all matter prefer the lowest energy state possible?" Yes. "Does a gas have more energy than the same amount in solid form?" Yes. "So why doesn't all matter stay in the low-energy, solid state?" Because, at 200 degrees C, water vapor is at a lower energy than would be the ice. "!!??? confused look."
Most people can envision ice changing back and forth from solid to liquid to gas. But what about a pile of iron? What about sugar? What about a person? Can you vaporize a person and condense him back to a liquid? Of course you can’t, but WHY? (Note he will only burn if you mix him with oxygen, so for the sake of discussion, let's say there is none available).

Two things here. There are pure elemental substances, and there are multicomponent substances/systems. Conceptually, every element* behaves like ice (yes, I am aware that ice is not an element) - everything from Hydrogen to Laurensis. Mixed substances are similar. The only divergence comes from an irreversible separation occurring when molecular kinetic energy overcomes the bonds that hold proteins and other macro molecules together. The resulting substances or sub-substances behave just like the elements or revert to elements themselves.
The ultimate question is, "Why does stuff separate, and why does it stay together?" It's like I already said. The whole world is ice. It can exist in different forms, but it always migrates to a form and a composition that minimizes its energy level. Despite appearances, matter always does what's easiest. That's thermodynamics.
HOM asks, "Aren't people different? Is 'easier' really better?" PSM sneers, "I know what you mean...all the time I'm hearing about the guidelines of thermodynamics."
My teacher says, "The first time you take thermo, you feel like you understand it. The second time, you realize you don't know anything. When the third time comes around, you just don't care anymore.” On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I agree completely.
*Excepting radioactive decomposition of course. You might argue that water decays too, but the time frame is so long, you'd have to start talking about the fate of the universe which is most certainly a discussion for another day. A comprehensible scientific object lesson is hard enough as it is.
Oceans - The Format

5 Comments:
"'Why does stuff separate, and why does it stay together?' Despite appearances, matter always does what's easiest. That's thermodynamics."
This is fantastic as applied to dating. I love it. (If that's not what you meant by "people," I'm sorry. But I love it.)
Thanks for the explanation. I like. I have another question, though. Why is water vapor at a lower energy level than the molecules would be as ice?
Imagine giving a 6 year old a sugar overload. What's easier, making him sit still in a chair or letting him run around in the back yard?
I the world of phase equilibria, you have two main vairables, temperature and pressure. They determine everything.
For example, at atmospheric pressure and 200 C, a water molecule will have a set amount of energy. At that point, it's easier to let it bounce around in vapor form than organize it into an imobile solid. Drop the temperature to -10 C, and suddenly, you can't force the molecule into a gas phase.
So it's true that a gaseous water molecule is more energetic than an ice molecule IF you compare the two at the temperatures of their respective phases. But unify those temperatures and you won't be able to force a molecule into a more energetic phase. You can change the system but never the response. That's why thermodynamics are governed by laws.
Cool. Thanks. This is interesting stuff.
I just have to say that that was a great post. Good job at explaining it for us non-scientists.
Word Verification: bmmpyz
I interpret that as bumpy sleep, but that might be because of my lack of it.
I guess, in the end, we're all two people.
Or three or four or five.
Post a Comment
<< Home