4/24/2008

It's hard to be the better man when you forget you're trying.

I started the day digging around in my hard drive for some old Excel files. Somehow the search transitioned into looking through old pictures. I found some from a trip to Idaho last summer.

Given my proclivity for masochistic feats, I'm sure everyone can guess my first thought in seeing this waterfall.

I wonder what it feel like to stand underneath 50 feet of falling water.
Hey Old Rommate! What will you give me if I run under that waterfall?
Nothing!! because I know you'll do it.
Damn. You know me too well.
Dude, you're nuts.
Hey Old Roommate #2, want to run under the waterfall with me?
Um, ok.



If you are my facebook friend you can see the video. Here is the result. Note that I had zero tan OR sunburn on my back upon entering the waterfall:


Pretty gross; I know. What happened next can be described perfectly in only one word - MALE.

After seeing me almost pass out head first into the rocks upon being pounded by gallons of falling water and then seeing the skin on my back swell with welts, my male comrades had no choice but to follow suit.

Soon all but one of us had taken a turn running under the waterfall, laughing and screaming in some euphoric mix of agony and boyish delight. Sadly, I can't find the resultant picture of manly triumph. We went on to explore the nearby cave and headed back to our cars. A half an hour hike past the waterfall, the one guy who hadn't gone under the waterfall decided he couldn't be a wimp after all, so together we hiked back, and he reclaimed his lost dignity.

I could go into all kinds of theories on why our male friends decided to follow Old Rommate2 and me. Maybe they didn't want to be outdone. Maybe they hesitated because they wanted to be sure they wouldn't die. Maybe they just wanted to be like me (that's my best theory). At least one things is certain though. Anyone who denies disparities between men and women is insane.

The take home lesson is for my female readers: Men do things that no person should tolerate, and men do things that must be tolerated simply because almost all men are this way. I'm afraid the affinity for stupidity in the presence of other men is most certainly the latter.

4 Comments:

Blogger eleka nahmen said...

Translation: Men are just plain idiotic.

Even though I love you.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Laulau said...

You guys are nuts.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Jessica & Nathan said...

This is why every girl that is responsible for one of you males has that one voice. The you-know-you-shouldn't / stop-that-right-now voice.
Usually it is just the way you say their name. I heard my mom give my dad the "Er-ic!" many times, and I now give the "Na-than!"
I think it was always Emma that gave you the "Mike!" when it was all of us hanging out.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

As the only man who has yet to write on this blog entry I should say that I am now searching for a 60 foot waterfall to run through.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home