Has Stupendous Man EVER won a battle? Well, they're all moral victories. One can't be picky.
Good old Bill Watterson.
Roommate1 and I do not have a good history ultimate frisbeeing together.
On our most recent escapade, we played our second game on opposing sides. Towards the middle of that game, a long pass was sent my way with Roommate1 as the only defender in close proximity.
As background, Rommate1 and I have become decent friends over the past two years. An occasionally dirty kitchen notwithstanding, I have no complaints. Nevertheless, one might consider Roommate1 to be my taller, richer, and with hot girlfriend counterpart, so I guess I have reason to be jealous.
The pass is headed our way, and I think to myself,*
I have been bested in money and women, but I WILL NOT be bested in Frisbee!!!! RAH!!!!!
We simultaneously jump; he gets a hand on the frisbee a split second before me. Unwilling to be outdone, I re-angle my body and tear the disk from Roommate1's hand. Unfortunately, I'm now unable to land on my feet. I refuse to fumble and hold on to the frisbee, which forces my left shoulder alone to absorb the impact of the fall.

So as I trapse around in my lab today, unable to lift a 500 mL beaker more than a few inches, I know that if nothing else, I have the pride of establishing the fact that I am indeed stronger than Roommate1...
a fact that pretty much no one...
ever...
questioned...
in the first place...
Crap.
Oh, and my team lost the game.
*I actually didn't think this at all, but the story is better this way. In truth, I couldn't be happier for Roommate1. He's been due some good fortune for a while now.
Roommate1 and I do not have a good history ultimate frisbeeing together.
On our most recent escapade, we played our second game on opposing sides. Towards the middle of that game, a long pass was sent my way with Roommate1 as the only defender in close proximity.
As background, Rommate1 and I have become decent friends over the past two years. An occasionally dirty kitchen notwithstanding, I have no complaints. Nevertheless, one might consider Roommate1 to be my taller, richer, and with hot girlfriend counterpart, so I guess I have reason to be jealous.
The pass is headed our way, and I think to myself,*
I have been bested in money and women, but I WILL NOT be bested in Frisbee!!!! RAH!!!!!
We simultaneously jump; he gets a hand on the frisbee a split second before me. Unwilling to be outdone, I re-angle my body and tear the disk from Roommate1's hand. Unfortunately, I'm now unable to land on my feet. I refuse to fumble and hold on to the frisbee, which forces my left shoulder alone to absorb the impact of the fall.

So as I trapse around in my lab today, unable to lift a 500 mL beaker more than a few inches, I know that if nothing else, I have the pride of establishing the fact that I am indeed stronger than Roommate1...
a fact that pretty much no one...
ever...
questioned...
in the first place...
Crap.
Oh, and my team lost the game.
*I actually didn't think this at all, but the story is better this way. In truth, I couldn't be happier for Roommate1. He's been due some good fortune for a while now.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home