6/11/2008

Fight or flight or just make friends.

Returning from the chemistry stockroom, I fiddled with my ipod, still halfway in my pocket. A tall, athletic looking black man, I'd guess 6'4" 215, stopped and said something. I pulled out my ear buds.

Excuse me?
Why are you carrying a knife?
Why is this dude staring at my pockets? It's a Skeletool CX buddy. It hardly counts as a lethal weapon.
Well, I work in a lab...
Because everyone knows that one must defend himself against the vile creatures that lurk in the dark caverns therein.
I want you to pull it out and attack me.

I took a second to assess his tone, gape, and demeanor; he wasn't kidding.

I don't think that's a good idea.
No, I'm serious. I want to give you a fair chance.
Well, I hardly think it will be an even fight.
Come on. Why wouldn't it be fair?
Well, I still doubt I could handle you.

I too was serious. I figured he was some kind of marital arts guy who wanted to do something "cool." Rarely am I the type to humor this sort of person. Additionally, my best shoulder (and fist by attachment) was still half gimped. But even at full health AND with a 3" serrated blade, I don't know that I'd want to mess with this guy unless forced to do so.

You don't understand. I really need to beat up a white person.
Who is this guy? I guess I could jab his eye with this 350 mL fritted filter I just bought...
Oh? Well, why would you want to do that?
I just got fired from my job, and I'm really fucking MAD!!
I see. Ok. Hmm. What happened?
My lesbian boss didn't like me, so she just fired me on the spot.

Our pathways were about to diverge.

Where are you going? I'll walk with you...

I'm a smart guy that way. Tell me you'd like to drive my face into the concrete, and I'll follow you forever.

So what kind of job?
At _____ Bank. Damn, fucking woman...
I'm really sorry to hear that. You just can't win if your boss has it out for you.
Yeah. But I'm going to get her back.
Really?
For sure. I'll run into her again eventually and then BAM!!!
Hmm. Well, I guess that's one way to solve your problems.
You have family here. You don't understand how difficult it is to come from another country and try to survive. You can call your parents anytime you want and ask for $20.
That's true, but I'm also smart enough to play by the rules when in enemy territory. No one forced you to come to this country you know.
It's true; I can. I'm sure it must be difficult for you. I wish I could console you somehow. Life gives you shit sometimes, and there's little you can do about it.

We arrived at the library where he was headed. I wished him well and departed; he didn't say anything in return.

Most men need a scapegoat for aggression when they have bad days. Some like to run or lift weights or fix the dishwasher and others prefer to pick fights with poorly dressed white boys that appear to have easy lives. Hopefully, my new friend finds an outlet that won't get him on tomorrow's front page.

3 Comments:

Blogger lindsey said...

Yikes! I'm glad you didn't get into a fight. You're such a nice guy--some dude wants to beat you up for no good reason and you try to help him out. XP

11:15 PM  
Blogger bh said...

And some men develop eating disorders to cope. Not to name names...That was a hilarious post, btw. I quite enjoyed it.

12:05 PM  
Blogger i i eee said...

Wow. Well at least he seems eager to take it out on another man, and not a woman. Er, um yeah.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home